top of page
Screenshot (1)_edited_edited_edited.jpg

Harby Methodist Chapel
now the home of the
Valley Christian Centre

Harby Methodist Chapel first met in Watson's Lane, in a converted coach house in front of what is now The Poplars. The then owner,  Mr William Orson, applied for a licence to hold public meetings in the Coach House which was subsequently granted on 7th April 1828. Services were held in this building for nearly 20 years. This original Chapel is now a private residence.

The congregation grew rapidly, and land was purchased on Main Street by Mr Orson to build a new chapel. The foundation stone was laid in 1847 by Mr C.H.Clarke, who was a solicitor based in Nottingham.

The Schoolroom to the left of the main chapel was built in 1896 and according to an article in the Grantham Journal dated Saturday 10th October 1896, the land on which it was built was purchased from the Nags Head.

In 1904, new pews, an organ, a new window and a rostrum were purchased at a total cost of £150.

The original organ was replaced by a new two-manual pipe organ, built by E Wragg & Son of Nottingham, in 1926 at a cost of £210.  

In the 1980's, The Methodist church put the Chapel up for sale on the open market. Chapel Close Trust had been formed to save and reinstate old chapel buildings for the purpose of worship. At the time, the Valley Christian Fellowship was meeting in the Village Hall and so in 1988  the building became the new home of the Valley Christians. The main hall was unusable so church was held in the small hall until it had been refurbished by church members comprised mainly of young people.

Go to Valley Christian Fellowship page Click Here

WhatsApp Image 2024-02-18 at 13.09.11_aec37cec.jpg

Click on an image for more information

bottom of page